Monday, May 28, 2012

Newsflash: Google Owes You Jack+Crap

I was kicking around reading Splork's blog Lost Ball in high weeds the other day, which is probably the most entertaining Internet Marketing Blog around right now. Splork takes Google updates in stride--none of this "Wah wah Mama Google's not feedin' me right!" crap you get from 90% of the IM crowd.

Karl Bradley SEO Black Belt Hates Him Some GD Whining


And even though as a service provider I feel the crunch sometimes (usually in a positive way, since most Google updates work to the advantage of good content providers, believeitorfuckingnot), you'll never once hear me whine about how Google done snatched my Linux Mint 9.0 computer by its backside and said, "All yr backlinks are belong to Google."

I'll admit that this update seemed pretty random in some spots, and actually seemed to penalize many webmasters for doing the right thing. All the same, I can't stand the whining.

Google Penguin and Your Rapidly Declining Income


But not everybody feels the same way about it. Said one reader:

"While the update may not have impacted you much, you need to realize how many people it has hurt from marketers like your readers, to article writers, to site designers, and of course people who make their money doing SEO. Everyone down the line is suffering as a whole industry is turned upside down.
You may not do this for a living but if you did, you might be more interested in what is happening. Most people who rely on IM income to put food on their tables have their own sites and Penguin has severely beaten many of them back."

Now if there's two things I can't stand, it's a whiner. And while it's nice to see somebody with a little heart in the IM field now and then, I've got to disagree with this guy on at least two points:
1) When it comes to getting new customers, it's not a very good business model to rely mainly on a SINGLE source of customers that SOMEONE ELSE controls--especially when they don't give two pigs in a pig farm, how well your business does!

This seems to me like a lazy business model--even though I know that many of you out there who make your living via SEO efforts, are anything but lazy. This business model is lazy and I don't respect it.

If nothing else, you should at least optimize for Bing. It wouldn't hurt to try some other things, though. Even (gasp!) paying for traffic!

2) Google doesn't owe you shit, and to act like it does, sounds to me like a pig-filthy attitude of entitlement. Seriously, I can't respect that. In fact I anti-respect it! It makes you sound like an asshole.
It also makes you sound more like an, "Ima make money on internets with posting links in Google!" crap-product-buying rube, as opposed to the business owner  you should be sounding like!

Why Google's Penguin Update is Good for SEOs



But even a Google's latest "One-eye-open" algorithm update, in the long run, is still good for SEO providers like me. Why? Real value will never go out of style with Google!


Sure, it may take the occasional hit like it did with Penguin. But I've gotta tell ya, the really good content providers of the world all rejoiced last year when Panda hit. Although I hear it's making things a little difficult for certain other writers out there...

...if you can't hang with the big boys, go get back on your big wheel!

Until next time,
Karl

No comments:

Post a Comment